Sunday, December 5, 2010

man

Hi.

Again, I should be writing a 12 page paper at the moment. I think it's very telling of my procrastination habits that I typically choose to blog at a time when I SHOULD be doing school work. Regardless, I'm writing something, so that's a good thing, right?

Before procrastinating on blogspot.com, I was searching John Mayer interviews on Youtube... sad, I know. I just cannot get enough of the guy. He writes his own lyrics (which, when a 30-something year old writes music that can actually make a girl cry, that's beyond art... it's magic), he is incredibly talented at both guitar and singing, his beauty is unconventional in that he doesn't have rock-hard abs and a fake, gleaming smile (but rather an old school sorta handsomeness). Really, he is amazing. I went to his concert in Vancouver on April 1st and was saddened by the shiteousness of my seat (super far from the stage; had to squint to see John), yet was awed by his ability to perform flawlessly live. So I'm standing and singing along, when an elderly fan and his wife turn to me and offer me two tickets to the front row (his friends whose tickets he was holding were unable to show up, and the bass was too loud for him and his wife up there), so low and behold, I walked (well, stumbled in amazement... and no, this was not an April Fool's Day prank) to the stage with one of my best friends at my side, and we got to stand in the front row. I could not believe that what I was hoping for, for once, came true. And to top it all off, at the end of an amazing guitar solo, I'm about 99% certain I made eye contact with the man himself, who slightly nodded, as I flamboyantly clapped and exalted "amazing, amazing, amazing!" It was the most incredible concert experience I've ever had, and I could not be more grateful for that old man with pink earplugs who gave me his tickets!

So in my pursuit to better understand and know John Mayer through Youtube, I ultimately came to the realization that these interviews are mere smidgens of who John Mayer really must be. His music and lyrics are poetic and passionate in nature, which are telling of his personality in the most personal sense. Contrastingly, in his interviews I've noticed that he portrays a slightly different version of himself in each one, depending on the interviewer, setting, and so forth. This had led me to the conclusion that John Mayer, the real man behind the interviews, tabloids and gossip blogs, is simply a man. A man whose unsurmountable talent has led him to be thrown, face first, into an abyss of media and hollywood clamour, where he is berated by the public for leading a life as any man would. I, as a true fan, will continue to ignore any negative press about John Mayer as the futility of it all is truly insulting. He is a man.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough about John Mayer. It's time to return to my paper where I contend that our world is facing a food crisis and the international community is doing shit all about it.

gh, xO

No comments:

Post a Comment